Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Early Spring - Morgan Hill

An artist asked about edges in the comment of my last posting, here is a little bit of my thoughts about the edges, hope it will help.

There are many differences in degree from hard edge to edgeless. The edges are related to values, and we do have a couple of principles for applying the edges when we paint something:

Harder edge for form shadow; softer edge for cast shadow; sometimes no edge between the form shadow and cast shadow.

Apply harder edge if you want to create something closer, apply softer edge if you want to create something further.

Of Course, there are a lot more we can talk in detail about the edges. .. The values and edges are like the notes of the music, bouncing around on your canvas, good artists compose them to a beautiful music.

Leave your question in a comment if you are interested in my thought about the question, I may share in my later posting when I get a chance.

By the way, I did not like the head part of my early painting “Figure Series 12-01” on February 17’s posting, I repainted the head and reloaded the image, I think it looks better than before :)


6 comments:

Rajeev Mohan said...

Absolutely gorgeous Fongwei!
What a beautiful landscape.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the design of your painting. Looking forward to learning more from you. Thank you!

Vinayak Deshmukh said...

First of all, the painting is fabulous and so is your advice. Its said that edges which appear hard on squinting should be retained the way they are whereas edges taht blur on squinting must be painted soft. Its been my observation that higher the value contrast across an edge, the harder it appears on squinting and vice versa. So is it correct to conclude that edges with higher contrast must be painted as hard edges while those with lower contrast must be made softer?
Thank you for the wonderful advice you ashare with us.
Best wishes,

silentwitness said...

Thank you Fongwei for answering my question on edges! It is very helpful to hear how you think while you paint, and how you make choices in your design, color, hue, value, intensity, etc. The edges in your work are very lyrical and they create that "music" you mentioned. Also, another very beautiful painting!

AH said...

MAGNIFIQUE !

Manuel Moyano said...

Very well done!!!!

Fongwei Liu said...

Thanks everyone, I will try to add more input on my posting if possible